I was contacted by a pediatrician to illustrate a book cover for a project he's working on. After working out the formalities, he liked my samples I sent for the cover and a final peice was then selected for the cover design which I'm posting here. This book will be distributed in packages of baby formula, sold at outlets to be announced later and on certain websites plus through the pediatrician's website once he gets all of those details worked out with the publishers and distributors. I thought it may be of interest to other artists on how the final cover art was chosen. I was given a basic description of the book, along with the title and what will be throughout the book and I made some initial suggestions on my own and illustrated concepts based on what the pediatrician supplied me with. It went expeditiously well as I supplied him with a few quick images I enhanced with a bit of color to help make his decision easier, not to mention he's easy to work with. Were now working on illustrations for the inside of the book. There's going to be 20 total which I'll try and post samples here, as the project evolves, and I really liked his suggestion of us doing them in increments of 5 at a time. This spacing will allow a sort of breathing room and I think it will help the flow of concepts and shorten the time in getting from rough sketch to final accepted art for each image. I've always felt bogged down by creating dozens of images in a compressed period of time for a single project, and this "incremental approach
" might be something other artists, illustrators and cartoonists may want to keep in mind when negotiating with your own project editors.
The pediatrician writing this book emphasized "frantic parents" when creating the characters which was more than enough to go on . . . .
Finally after looking over the above rough sketches, we agreed on the final art and layout below. I asked the writer (Cliff) if using my own cartoonish block lettering would be better, or a chosen font I showed him in a mock up I made using Photoshop. He liked my samples of block lettering I showed and we went with that.
If I can, I'll post any samples for the inside of the book as we move through the project. Update: Was just informed the baby formula company that will distribute the book is Infamil, so I think the publication will get wide distribution. Whether the book is intended for corporate promotional packaging or will be in packaging to the public sector, I'm not sure
. If you are an art director, creative director or graphic designer who seeks customized cartoons and humorous comic illustrations, I can assist if you'll contact me at my email address on this cartoon book illustration samples
page. Cartoon below is part of a series of new cartoons just created for a book on divorce which is still in preliminary stages and being put together by a writer out in southern California.Will try and update here with complete title of the book as we move forward with this particular book.
Labels: babies, baby, cartoon, cartoon humor writers, cartoonists, cartoons, changing, custom, diaper, diapers, humorous, illustration, illustrations, illustrator, illustrators